Bob has experience as a trial lawyer spanning 40 years and covering a wide range of litigation. He serves as a mediator and arbitrator in insurance coverage disputes and represents policyholders in complex insurance coverage litigation. His past experience includes the representation of both domestic and London market liability insurers, reinsureds and excess liability insurers. Bob also represents clients in transportation, construction, product, professional liability cases, and directors' and officers' liability cases.
Bob has published extensively on matters related to insurance coverage. He has appeared at seminars for the National Business Institute, the Georgia Insurance Law Institute, Lloyd's of London and the CPCU Society's annual program, among others, lecturing on a wide range of insurance topics. He is the co-author of the two-volume text, Excess Liability (Thomson Reuters Publ., published annually, 1998-2020). He has been qualified as an expert witness in insurance coverage and bad faith claims handling cases.
Bob has been a partner in two different AmLaw 100 law firms and was managing partner at Carter & Ashley.
Bob served on the Board of Governors of the State Bar of Georgia for 14 years and served on the State Bar’s Disciplinary Review Panel from 2011 through 2017. He has also served three terms on the Board of Directors of the Atlanta Bar Association and on its Judicial Selection and Tenure Committee. He is a Foundation Fellow of the State Bar of Georgia. He is a past member to the Georgia Defense Lawyers Association, Defense Research Institute and International Association of Defense Counsel.
In 2007 Bob was elected as a Master in the Lumpkin Inn of Court. In 2008 he was appointed Adjunct Professor of Insurance Law at the University of Georgia School of Law, and continued in that teaching capacity through 2011. He has been selected to the Georgia "Super Lawyers" list in the field of insurance law since 2011.
Honors & Awards
- Named to the "Super Lawyers" list for Insurance Coverage in Georgia (2011-2020)
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" for Insurance Law and Litigation - Insurance in Georgia by Best Lawyers (2018-2020)
- Selected to Super Lawyers Business Edition list, Insurance Coverage (2013-2015)
- Judicial Nominating Commission "Short List" for Georgia Court of Appeals Vacancy, 2010
- Elected Master, Joseph Henry Lumpkin American Inn of Court, 2007
- Rated AV Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Elected to Georgia Law Review and Order of Barristers at University of Georgia School of Law.
Areas of Practice
- Insurance Counseling and Coverage Litigation
- All State & Federal Courts, Georgia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- B.A. with Distinction, University of Virginia
- J.D., University of Georgia Law School
- He is the co-author of the two-volume text, Excess Liability (Thomson Reuters Publ., published annually, 1998-2018). He has been qualified as an expert witness in insurance coverage and bad faith claims handling cases. He has authored numerous papers on legal issues in the field of insurance law.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Georgia
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Lawyers’ Club of Atlanta
- Lumpkin Inn of Court