Mr. Holt represents privately held businesses and their owners in a wide variety of corporate and transactional matters. His practice focuses on business entity formation, capitalization, and maintenance, general corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, contract drafting and negotiation, permits, licensing, and other regulatory matters, and employment-related issues (including non-compete and other restrictive covenant agreements). Jeff has counseled businesses in all phases of the business life cycle—from start-up to sale—in negotiating contracts and agreements in the corporate, lending, commercial real estate, and private investment contexts.
Jeff’s practice also focuses on landlord-tenant issues, non-profit formation and governance, estate planning and probate matters, and general business disputes(including civil appeals involving business, insurance, and other non-criminal matters).
Jeff grew up in Fayette County and is a 2001 graduate of Fayette County High School. He attended Reinhardt University in Waleska, Georgia, where he studied business and accounting and was a member of the men’s golf team. After college, Jeff worked as the Executive Director of the Atlanta Junior Golf Association, a 501(c)(3) non-profit junior golf organization that is now part of the Georgia State Golf Association.
Following five years working in the golf business, Jeff attended the Georgia State University College of Law, where he graduated summa cum laude and finished second in his class. He was the business editor of the Georgia State University Law Review and a member of the Moot Court Board. Jeff has published scholarly articles on a variety of legal issues, including admiralty law, state education law, and constitutional interpretation.
After practicing law at a large regional law firm in Atlanta for several years, Jeff served as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable R. Lanier Anderson III on the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
Jeff lives in Fayette County with his wife, Lana, and their three children. He enjoys playing golf, hiking, reading history books, and spending time with his family.
Areas of Practice
- Business & Commercial Law
- Contract Negotiation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Commercial Leasing, Landlord & Tenant Disputes
- Estate Planning & Probate Administration
- Business Litigation & Appeals
- State, Local & Municipal Law
- Georgia, 2013
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Court of Appeals of Georgia
Georgia State University College of Law, Atlanta, Georgia
- J.D. Summa cum laude - 2013
Reinhardt University, Waleska, Georgia
- B.S. Business Administration (Management) - 2005
- B.S. Sports Administration - 2005
- Reading Our Written Constitution, 45 Cumb. L. Rev. 487 (2015).
- Jefferson A. Holt & Edward H. Brown, Going Formal With Policies and Procedures, Association News (Nov. 5, 2014), http://www.associationnews.com/going-formal-with-policies-and-procedures/.
- Salvaging a Capsized Statute: Putting the Public Vessels Act Back on Course, 29 Ga. St. U. L. Rev. 493 (2013).
- James E. Flynn III & Jefferson A. Holt, Charter Schools Amendment and Enabling Legislation: H.R. 1162 and H.B. 797, 29 Ga. St. U. L. Rev. 1 (2012).